Albuquerque is a vibrant city with four distinct seasons and an incredibly active outdoor lifestyle. With mild weather and numerous mountains, lakes, rivers, and miles upon miles of trails, Albuquerque is an ideal place for buying horse property. If you seek an equestrian-centered way of life, the city offers numerous resources, including stables, training and riding facilities, and the active New Mexico Horse Council. Horse properties for sale in the Albuquerque area range from modest homes with a single horse stall right in town to sprawling estates in the country with training and breeding facilities, and everything in between.
Latest Horse Properties
2160 State Hwy 595 Lindrith, New Mexico
4 Beds 5 Baths 6,895 SqFt 240 Acres
4 Evans Trail NW Edgewood, New Mexico
4 Beds 3 Baths 1,660 SqFt 2.150 Acres
Search Albuquerque Area Horse Properties
- Albuquerque Horse Properties Priced $500,000 or Less
- Albuquerque Horse Properties Priced $500,000 or More
- Corrales Horse Properties
- Rio Rancho Horse Properties
- Placitas Horse Properties
- Tijeras, Cedar Crest, and Sandia Park Area Horse Properties
- Edgewood and Moriarty Area Horse Properties
Tips for Selecting a Horse Property
When searching for a property suitable for your family, including your horses, there are many things to consider. Purchasing horse property is much different than buying a suburban home, which is why having the knowledge and expertise of a professional team of REALTORS® such as the Venturi Realty Group is critical.
- Availability of water – If you require space for pasture on your Albuquerque horse property, it’s important to understand what type of licensed water rights the property has and how much water it has access to. Will the property’s water source be shared with neighbors? How might the water source be impacted in a drought? If you desire irrigation, there is even more to consider.
- Topography – Take note of where steep hills and low points lie on the property, as well as its proximity to rivers or lakes. You don’t want to deal with a property prone to frequent flooding, and you can better plan where buildings and facilities should go if you are familiar with its layout.
- Access to riding trails – If you want the freedom to go trail riding without having to utilize a horse trailer and travel with your horses, consider properties near forest land owned by the U.S. Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management.
- Think Long-Term – It’s crucial to be familiar with the zoning laws and local ordinances for your horse property in Albuquerque. Many areas have bylaws governing what types of animals you can have and how many horses or other livestock may be kept per acre of property. Consider how you may want to expand longer-term, adding horses or building new infrastructure.
Albuquerque horse properties for sale can vary widely from a small Ranchette, to a true horse farm with multiple acres. There are properties for sale in a variety of locations in the Albuquerque area where we see people with horses. Those that quickly come to mind are the North Valley, Los Ranchos, Corrales, North Albuquerque Acres, South Valley, Placitas, Rio Rancho, the west side and the East Mountains. Many of these areas have excellent access to horse riding trails. arenas, and other horse lovers.
Often we are asked what the zoning rules are for having horses. How many horses can we have? The answer varies depending upon the jurisdiction and zoning. In some areas, the answer is you can have as many horses as you wish as long as you properly maintain them. Other areas the zoning is rather specific and might be different if you have 1/2 acre versus a full acre. Other areas may specifically restrict horses or livestock. I know one neighborhood where about 1/4 of the home sites are allowed up to 2 horses, and the rest of the homes are not allowed horses. What this means is due diligence is pretty important to make sure that the home for sale you are considering really meets your needs.
Why Venturi Realty Group?
The Venturi Realty Group in New Mexico is an experienced REALTOR® team that delivers old school values and personalized service coupled with top-notch tools and resources. They represent buyers and sellers throughout Albuquerque and surrounding areas and have extensive experience with horse property, vacant land, and luxury homes. The Venturi Group has garnered several accolades, including winning the Albuquerque Journal Readers Choice Award in 2018 and 2019 and being ranked in the top 1% of Zillow Premier Agents nationwide.